Light, fluffy and easy to make, these muffins are great served straight from the oven for breakfast or simply with a cuppa for afternoon tea.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200*c/ fan oven 180*c/Gas mark 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt, mixed spice, sugar and 75g (3oz) of oats.
3. Whisk together the melted butter, yoghurt, milk, egg and honey until smooth. Stir in three quarters of the cherries and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and divide the mixture between the paper cases.
4. Scatter over the remaining cherries and oats. Bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
5. Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These muffins are delicious made using banana. Simply omit the cherries and mash 1 large banana and stir in the yoghurt. Add chocolate chips or raisins if you prefer, about 75g (3oz).