Serve this rich, delicious high fibre cob warm with soup or simply with butter and jam
75g White’s Speedicook Porridge Oats
225g wholemeal flour
35g demerara sugar
Good pinch salt
75g self raising flour
1 and a half teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon treacle
1. Set oven to 220oc. Place the oats, wholemeal flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Sift in the baking soda and self raising flour.
2. Melt the treacle and butter together and cool to room temperature. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the treacle mixture and buttermilk.
3. Mix to a loose dough. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead lightly into a ball and transfer to a floured baking tray.
4. Flatten slightly and make a cross in the centre with a knife.
5. Bake at 220oc for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 140oc for a further 40 minutes or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Cool on a wire rack. Great served warm with soup or just with butter and jam.