A delicious take on classic soda bread, wholesome and full of wholegrain goodness
· 225g (8oz) plain flour
· 1 tsp salt
· 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
· 125g (4oz) plain whole-meal flour
· 125g (4oz) White’s Speedicook Porridge Oats
· 300ml (1/2 pint) buttermilk
· 1 tsp clear honey
· Milk to glaze
1. Sift the plain flour, salt & bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Stir in the whole meal flour and oat flakes. Make a well in the middle and add the buttermilk blended with the honey.
2. Mix together to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
3. Shape into a 20cm/8 inch circle and place on an oiled baking sheet. Cut a deep cross on top of the dough then brush with milk. Bake in a preheated over at 200ºc/400ºF/ gas mark 6 for 30-35 minutes until risen, lightly browned & hollow sounding when tapped underneath.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.