Unusual, delicious and relatively healthy – these savoury flapjacks make the perfect snack or dessert. For this recipe we have used White’s Speedicook Porridge Oats, which are traditional whole grain rolled oats, adding natural fibre to the recipe.
200g White’s Speedicook Porridge Oats
250g Butternut squash – peeled and cubed, approx. 1cm²
200g grated Carrot
75g mixed Seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, linseed, sesame)
100g Hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
250g Ricotta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh Thyme
1 large tablespoon dried Coriander
1. Add 100ml water to a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the butternut squash and cook
roughly 5 minutes or until very soft. Drain and set aside. Mash with a fork.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / Gas Mark 6.
3. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the White’s
Speedicook Porridge Oats, salt, cooked butternut squash and carrot.
4. Add the mixed seeds, nuts and cheese, then season with salt and pepper and add the fresh
thyme and dried coriander.
5. Stir in the beaten eggs, mixing thoroughly.
6. Spoon the mixture into a square tin 23cm x 23cm and 4cm deep, lined with baking paper.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, until set and golden.
8. Cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then ease out and cool completely on a wire rack.
9. Cut into squares.