As part of its ambitious sustainability vision for the future, White’s Oats has unveiled a full sweep of A+ Eco Scores across its range of porridge oats awarded by Foundation Earth, a not for profit organisation, to understand the environmental impacts of its products.
Using methodology developed by Mondra and borne out of research from Oxford University, a Life Cycle Assessment is carried out which measures impacts across farming, transport, processing, packaging and retail, from creating a product. Products are then awarded an environmental rating from A+ to G, communicated to consumers via a traffic light system and a front of pack score.
An A+ rating is the highest score that can be awarded and is reflective of White’s short supply chains, minimal processing, low water usage and minimal impact on biodiversity when producing its products.
The announcement comes as White’s pledges to be carbon neutral in its scope 1 and scope 2 emissions within the year through a combination of carbon reduction and offsetting with more ambitious targets set for becoming net zero carbon across scope 1, 2, 3 by 2040.
Positive gains have also been made in its efforts around sustainable packaging with 100% of its porridge oats in sustainably sourced, fully recyclable paper packaging. 93% of all White’s packaging is now fully recyclable and it is committed to making the remaining 7% recyclable, reusable or compostable by the end of 2022. It also recently relaunched its Speedicook porridge oats and Organic oats into a new larger 1kg bag resulting in 35% less paper per tonne of finished product.
White’s Oats has a long tradition in producing and marketing natural, healthy and unprocessed oat cereals and its commitment to inspiring healthy lifestyles through a relentless focus on nutritious, sustainable oat products firmly steers its vision for the future.
The company prides itself on sourcing 100% of its conventional porridge oats within a 60-mile radius of the mill in Tandragee, which is integral to supporting its local sourcing model and ensuring a fully traceable oat supply from farm to bowl. White’s works in partnerships with its growers supporting a number of sustainable farming practices, including:
James Mathers, General Manager of White’s Oats, said: “We are proud that our porridge oats have achieved the highest Eco Score from Foundation Earth. It signals a clear commitment on our part that we are focused on reducing our carbon footprint. Our Eco Score provides consumers with the confidence that they are making an informed choice and furthers our mission to deliver healthy, nutritious and sustainable oat-based product offerings.’’
Cliona Howie, CEO, Foundation Earth said ‘’Foundation Earth is inspired to see bold action from innovative companies like White’s Oats release their front-of-pack eco impact scores, offering consumers the credible information they need to make more sustainable buying choices. It’s a testament to the good work they’re already doing that their products rated highly. We’re excited to continue working with companies like White’s as our pilot continues to accelerate our food systems to net zero.’’